Wednesday, October 15, 2008

World Wide (Economic) Suicide

After going on a little retail therapy yesterday (I was inspired by Neil Gaiman's newly released novel, The Graveyard Book) I took time off to watch the news. Growing up, I was exposed to listening to early morning news shows on the radio and watching late night news programs rather than watching cartoons and entertainment shows so being out of the loop in a while made me a bit curious at how things are going. (I knew there's something seriously rotten in Denmark as soon as I read that Cosmo Girl is over and done because of the economy, heeeheee!)

The word "Worldwide Economic Meltdown" was being tossed around every three nano-seconds and pretty much the only thing that was being talked about on 24 Oras last night. Turns out, The Great Depression II is upon Uncle Sam and that ain't good for everyone else. Being in the biz that solely depends on clients from the U.S. and Europe, I was also understandably worried. You know you're starting to get old when you start worrying about the economy, no? Damn.

So far, OFWs are already feeling the heat. More and more Flips are coming back home as every John Doe started tightening their pompous belt. Ah... the signs of things to come! I was a victim of the economic meltdown when my writing gig folded due to the "poor economy" last September. I was panic-stricken because... I'm a money-grabbing bitch, what can I say? Major Suckage on my part.

There was also a funny little news where the reporter happily quipped that "the Philippine Economy was doing far better than that of the U.S. (insert straight-face here)"

EEEEEEEeeeehhh?! Exactly how much did I miss? Seriously, what the fucking hell is going on? Hearing this felt like I was stuck in a parallel universe.

I know I'll sound like a Goddamned prick and I should be happy that after decades and decades and decades of economic instability, Good ol' Flip country is finally getting a break but unfortunately, that failed to make me feel better simply because that's total bullshit.

You know Financial Doomsday is just around the corner the day that the word "Good Economy" is used along with "Philippines" in one sentence. Not to be a wet blanket but with a track record such as ours, I very much doubt that we'd ever make any impact on the worldwide economy so I find it hilariously ambitious of us to have the gall to compare our economic standing with that of the U.S.

I could almost feel Japan laughing their kimono-clad asses off with that bit of trivia.

Not content with spewing illusions of grandeur, there was another news I saw where it blatantly reports that we owe our great economic performance to the fact that "Mahilig kasing mangutang ang mga Pinoy."

You read it right folks.

They said that "Dahil sa likas na mahilig mangutang ang mga Pilipino, naging positibo ang resulta sa ating ekonomiya ng ganong mentalidad"

I almost choked out my own kidneys when I heard all of these... retarded remarks. One would think that astoundingly stoopid brain farts such as this would never hit national TV but you'd be surprised. With batshit crazy crackheads at our disposal it's no wonder we're still stuck in this massive cloud of retarded economic haze. I'm fine with being an optimist but I draw the line at being delusional.

We always do this, no? Thinking we're better than everyone else just because we got a little break from the sorrounding bullshit that seems to be pestering other countries. Why do we always feel the compusion to smoke up our own asses? As if that's gonna change things. Ika nga, anlakas ng ating fighting spirit. Kaso wala sa lugar, mga putangina nyong bobo!!!

Thankfully, a certain dismayed analyst shot down this ridiculous claim to oblivion by saying:

"Wag naman tayung mag-isip ng paurong. Walang kinalaman ang hilig ng Pinoy na mangutang sa lakas ng ekonomiya natin."

There is yet hope. But still, what the fuck?

No comments:

Post a Comment