Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Un-quit

I had quite a day. I told raket guy that I will be quitting, something that I have been thinking about for the past few days. The final straw was when he was making me do a webmaster's job when clearly, I've no fricken' clue what to do.My latest project involves transferring an entire website to a new web host. To a webmaster, that's probably easy-peasy.

Well I ain't a webmaster. How the hell am I suppose to do this shit?

Now, as much as I appreciate the fact that he has high expectations from me and stuff, I draw the line when I'm messing with live websites. Who's to know what's going to happen if I pushed the wrong button? It would've helped if anyone from the team were giving me precise instructions on the how-to's but there's no one helping.My gosh, they expect someone totally not qualified to do this shit and they're not be afraid of what might happen?

It got to a point where in my desperation, I had to consult a friend about it (incidentally, he is the one who created this website and took care of the hosting thing: Hi Bry!) unfortunately, even after all the blah blah blah I still couldn't understand a thing he's saying. That made me angry. Not at him, at the realization that I have bitten off more than I could chew. I told myself all the days of contemplation will end tomorrow morning.

The minute I woke up, I talked to raket guy. I started off with a lengthy speech explaining, in detail, why I refuse to go through the project, well aware that all the while I sounded like I'm PMS-ing. Then I told him point blank that I'm quitting. 'Course he asked why and I took that opportunity to speak candidly about how vague his instructions were, how crippling the quota is and how I was made to do things that was not part of our initial agreement. Note that when this happened, I wasn't paid for the three weeks that I worked for him. I just didn't care, hahaha!

I thought the fact that he is hiring another writer meant I'll easily be let go but that's not what happened. He convinced me to stay with a pact that in the event that I do not like the project given to me, I could freely tell him to "shove the to-do list up to where the sun don't shine."Also, he promised that he will lay off the technical stuff, which I appreciate.

So to cut the long story short, I un-quit myself. Because I'm a worm. Well, that and I felt bad about my outburst. Let's see if he's going to hold his end of the bargain.

No comments:

Post a Comment