Sunday, April 13, 2008

Catching Up

I had a surprising weekend. Surprising because I thought I had the whole day all planned out. My sole gameplan was to just drag my ass to the salon to get a trim, surf the net then sleep the day away. Next thing you know, I got my old college galpal, Dewey, asking me if I want to join her for some Go-karting action. Of course, being the lazy fuck that I am, I said Hell fucken no.

At the same time, tattooed-guy, who's got more issues than the Rolling Stones magazine and the Rolling Stones band put together, texted me and asked me if I'm free for coffee. As much as I want to "chat" with him over coffee and play the 27/7 on-call amateur shrink (not!), I politely declined. These days, I'd rather be skinned alive, then dousing myself with gasoline, set myself on fire while jumping off to a cliff and be greeted by the sea of Calamansi juice below, that see him. I'm so over the dramz.

The ex-best friend also texted me and asked me if I'm in the mood to hang-out with her. I chose not to respond. Seems like everyone wants to "catch up" these days.

Instead, I suggested to Dewey that we do something a little less strenuous, catch up over lunch and coffee, perhaps? Good-natured girl that she is, she said yes.

Two hours later, we're reminiscing about our dreary college lives and the events that came in-between. Back in the day, Dewey was one of the prettiest girls on the campus while I, on the other hand, was known as the anti-social bitch from Geekville. Naturally, she was surprised to find out I wasn't the insecure spectacled-fatass she used to know and got greeted by an embittered bony-assed twit instead. She seemed genuinely happy for me though.

It's funny now that as we caught up with each other's shit, I realized we have so much in common. More than I'd like to admit. See, for some weird reason, I disliked hanging-out with her even in college. And fast-forward 4 years later, I'm still a little hesitant to do so. Don't get me wrong, she is really, really nice, to a fault. I just can't stand her Pollyanna ways, even by my standards, it's suffocating. It's like I have to verbalize everything to her and explain the most inane things. Mind you, I don't mean that I can't stand her, in fact, I like her and I did have a nice time hanging-out with her. All I'm saying is she's great, in small doses.

Also, I do have a dim memory of her back in college when she invited me for an overnight stay at her dorm. I thought what she meant was we're gonna have a fun slumber party. Instead she made me join her do her project for the next day and was left making hideous cut-outs of shit at two in the fucking morning. I found it rude but hey, it's her casa. Needless to say, I got a little wary of her and I politely declined the "slumber party" offers that came afterwards.

By the end of the night, I accompanied her on a tattoo shop to get herself henna-ed. While the Henna Guy was quietly working on her design and I sat down in the cramped room, idly browsing through a magazine, she blurted out that I have, in fact, just got inked, to the Henna Guy. Upon learning this, the Henna Guy, understandably, wants to see my tat. Next thing you know, I got a total stranger pawing at my tiger... wait, that came out wrong. Umm... against my will but confined to my strategically-masked politeness, I showed my bare back to this guy. Deep inside I wanna strangle Dewey.

He was impressed, of course, because not many girls would choose a rather masculine design such as the one I got.

After our little meeting, she kept making plans. Plans that require 7 hour-long drive away from the city. Plans that would require vacation leaves and good money. Plans that includes target-shooting, go-karts and trekking. I tried explaining that as much as I want to be spontaneous, I couldn't just go and do things on the fly. I didn't bother telling her that I'm not interested shooting things and breaking things or that talking to her for more than half a day might put me in a coma. God, I'm so mean.

She was a little disappointed but still hopeful. Man, I don't remember her to be the adventrous type but then again, it's been 2 years the last time I saw her.

No comments:

Post a Comment