Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Konting Kultura Para Maiba!

Okay if you guys are looking for retarded banters today you may stop reading cuz it ain't gonna happen this time. Once in a while I do write stuff outside of my expertise just to spite you, dear readers. Why I do this is beyond me.

Today, unfortunately, I'll be writing about the three cool books I read not too long ago (Fine, I read all of these last week and I chose this time to write about it, cut me some slack, why dontcha?) Yes, I do read stuff other than the Sunday funnies, harhar.

Now, I mentioned several blogs ago that I was meaning to read John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath and that's exactly what I did. The book is all about The Great Depression and also about the struggles of a small Oklahoma family, The Joads. Be warned that this is definitely not meant for light reading.

I was a bit surprised that Grapes of Wrath is considered one of the greatest American Novels (it said so in Benny Blog) had I known about it, I wouldn't have wasted my time procrastinating. I must say that having read Steinbeck's East of Eden, which I totally adored, Grapes of Wrath is more uh... depressing in comparison. It's definitely worth reading but trust me, it really ain't all that.


After I finished that book I went ahead and read Memories of My Melancholic Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Now this is a fun book! I loved it! It's a very light read too. It's a story that revolves around a 90-year old guy pining for a virgin whore. It's a very quirky book that pokes fun at getting old, falling inlove for the first time and also teaches about the pains you have to put yourself through for the sole purpose of liberating yourself from surrounding bullshit of your own making. I highly recommend this book.


And last but not the least, I found time to squeeze in F. Scott Fitzgerald's masterpiece, The Great Gatsby. I made the mistake of holding on to the synopsis of the book written at the back cover. It read "The classic story of Jay Gatsby's undying love to the beautiful Daisy Buchanan". Personally, I'm a sucker for happy endings and I thought, "Hey maybe this is the light-hearted book I'm looking for".

Too fucking bad, it ain't. If anything, it made me a bit depressed. I remember that after I finished the last page, it started to rain outside, it's alike a giant depressing cherry on top of a hugeass depressing cake.

Well, most of you guys have read it I'm sure, but for those who haven't, trust that I won't give out any spoilers. Anyways, yeah, The Great Gatsby is a very intriguing book if I do say so myself but don't take my word for it and read it yourself!

Konting kutura, mga kapatid!

No comments:

Post a Comment